Impeachment: Jigawa speaker heads to court
A former Speaker of the Jigawa State House of Assembly, Honourable Idris Garba, has gone to court to challenge his impeachment.
He argued that there was a lot of irregularities and lawlessness in the process leading his sack by 25 members of the assembly.
Counsel for former speaker, Sale Mohammed Tirmizi, said his client’s had already filed a case in the Dutse High Court, insisting that due process was not followed for his client removal.
He prayed the court to nullify his removal and return him as the substantive speaker.
According to him, the defendants included the 25 members of the assembly, who impeached him and the Commissioner for justice, Attorney General of the state.
Tirmizi explained that his client instituted the case because the procedures followed for his impeachment contravened Section 6 (4) Rules of the Jigawa State House Assembly 2011, which said for a speaker or his deputy to be removed, a copy of allegations for removal from office, must be made available to the individual.
“Based on the reasons made available, the so called impeachment is illegal therefore, null avoid, pointed pout that as far as the law is concern my client, Idris Garba Kareka is still the substantive Speaker of Jigawa State House of Assembly.”
Reports further revealed that, the impeached speaker was said to have accepted his impeachment in good faith, but he along with his loyalists members insisted that the aggrieved members have not follow due process in the Impeachment process as such they must seek for legal redress from court.
- Previous Drug convict drags NDLEA to court over life sentence
- Next Lassa fever hits seven states, kills six
You may also like...
- Man, 42, rapes, impregnates 13yr-old plantain hawker Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/man-42-rapes-impregnates-13yr-old-plantain-hawker
- LASTMA’s GM escapes Danfo accident
- My future at Arsenal is not dependent on Wenger’s, says Ozil
- How Belgore, Sulaimon, allegedly benefitted from Diezani’s $115m
- I’ve handed over power back to Buhari — Osinbajo