LASTMA’s GM escapes Danfo accident
The General Manager, Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), Olawale Musa, escaped death by a whisker as a commercial bus driver, David Agiri, driving a suspected stolen vehicle with registration number FKJ 875XC at Oshodi almost ran over him.
The driver, while attempting to escape arrest, almost ran over Musa’s vehicle as well as the bus of the LASTMA monitoring team. Agiri was, however, arrested by LASTMA officials. He has been on the wanted list of the agency since February 23, 2017 for driving against traffic at Iyana Iba, on Lagos-Badagry Expressway but had evaded arrest.
He was able to escape due to the policy of the agency, which forbids officers from pursuing fleeing vehicles, but the long arm of the law later caught up with him when he was eventually arrested with the same vehicle last Thursday at Oshodi.
Further investigation of vehicle papers by LASTMA officials revealed that the vehicle number plates did not correspond with the vehicle documents as the number plates belonged to a Port Harcourt resident with a different name and type of vehicle.In addition, Agiri, who is a native of Badagry and a resident of Agbara town in Ogun State, is alleged to be a serial traffic offender with a penchant for driving against traffic.
Commenting on the incident, Musa said the agency’s monitoring team on routine patrol caught the driver of the unpainted commercial bus at Iyana-Iba driving against traffic but the effort to apprehend Agiri proved abortive as he mobilised social miscreants to attack the traffic officials.
Agiri, who has been handed over to the police at theMosafejo Division, for further investigation and arraignment in court, confessed to flouting the traffic laws and that the number plates found on the vehicle did not actually belong to him.
Speaking further, the LASTMA boss assured Lagosians that the agency would not relent in ensuring seamless flow of traffic in the state, adding that impunities by some motorists would also not be condoned.
According to Musa, the era of fragrant disobedience of traffic laws in the state was over, warning commercial bus drivers not to constitute themselves into a nuisance as anybody caught violating the law would be dealt with accordingly.
- Previous My future at Arsenal is not dependent on Wenger’s, says Ozil
- Next Man, 42, rapes, impregnates 13yr-old plantain hawker Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/man-42-rapes-impregnates-13yr-old-plantain-hawker
You may also like...
- Man, 42, rapes, impregnates 13yr-old plantain hawker Read more at: http://www.vanguardngr.com/2017/03/man-42-rapes-impregnates-13yr-old-plantain-hawker
- LASTMA’s GM escapes Danfo accident
- My future at Arsenal is not dependent on Wenger’s, says Ozil
- How Belgore, Sulaimon, allegedly benefitted from Diezani’s $115m
- I’ve handed over power back to Buhari — Osinbajo